What is Green Mediterranean diet? Know health benefits, foods to eat on the plant-based meal plan  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Dieting is one of the most effective measures for weight loss or weight gain plans
- There are various weight management diet plans available such as the Keto diet, Mediterranean diet and vegan diet
- Here is what you need to know about the Green Mediterranean diet and its health benefits
New Delhi: According to a recent study published in journal Heart, Green Mediterranean Diet, a version of the Mediterranean diet containing a reduced amount of red meat consumption and increased amount of plant-based food consumption can offer improved health benefits than the traditional Mediterranean diet. In this kind of diet, the amount of protein intake from meat is compensated through several other plant-based food sources that are rich in protein.
Health benefits of Green Mediterranean Diet
The health benefits of Green Mediterranean diet are as follows:
- Improved metabolism: Due to the increase in the intake of plant-based foods, whole-grains and nuts, fibre intake increases significantly. This increase helps in improving the metabolism to great extents. This also helps with weight management.
- Enhanced heart-health: Nuts are a crucial food in Mediterranean diet plans. It is because of their ability to provide the body with antioxidants and healthy fats. This consumption of healthy fats leads to healthy cholesterol levels which further leads to lowered risks of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- Weight management: Green Mediterranean diet encourages the intake of whole-grains, fruits and vegetables in moderate amounts. This prevents the person from consuming an excessive amount of calories, thereby helping with weight management. Consumption of healthy fats also prevents obesity.
- Blood sugar level management: The food included in a Green Mediterranean diet plan consists mostly of plant-based food. The sugar present in these foods is natural and not added. This helps in the management of blood sugar levels in the body.
Foods to eat on Green Mediterranian Diet
Some green foods that you can consume while following a Green Mediterranean Diet are as follows:
- Berries: Various types of berries such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and gooseberries are a rich source of antioxidants, fibre and polyphenols. These can provide several health benefits to the body.
- Beans: Beans are a rich source of nutrients like protein, fibre, iron, magnesium and potassium. They provide health benefits raining from weight control, heart health and diabetes management. Some varieties of beans you can choose from include pinto beans, kidney beans, lima beans and fava beans.
- Nuts: Nuts are a rich source of antioxidants, fibre, omega-3 fatty acids and healthy fats. They can prove to be good for the heart, weight and body. You can include nut varieties such as peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews and pine nuts in your diet.
- Soy: Foods containing soy are a rich source of antioxidants, iron, zinc, omega-3 fats and other essential nutrients. They can prove to be extremely beneficial for cardiovascular health.
- Vegetables: Be it the roots, cruciferous, marrow or leafy greens, several vegetables provide several health benefits to the body as they are a rich source of all the essential nutrients required by the human body. Feel free to consume different vegetables such as potatoes, spinach, carrots, broccoli and kale.
Dieting may be an essential part of most weight management plans. However, while following the diet, one must make sure that it does not end up being mentally and physically draining.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.