Carabao Cup football final pushed to April 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic

The English Football League (EFL) on Monday announced that this season’s Carabao Cup final has been rescheduled to April with an aim to have “as many supporters in attendance as possible”. Initially slated to be played on February 28, the final will now take place on April 25.”This season’s Carabao Cup Final has been rescheduled and will now take place on Sunday 25 April 2021, with a 4pm kick-off,” EFL said in a statement. “It is the objective of the League to stage the Final with as many supporters in attendance as possible and the decision has therefore been taken to move the Final from its original date of Sunday 28 February 2021 to later in the year,” it added.

EFL said that the number of fans permitted will be dependent on government guidance in place at the time and it is “hoped” that moving the date to later in the year will give clubs and their fans the “best opportunity” to attend in person.

Some stadiums are allowed to have fans in the stands but their return in London was brief as the capital was put under lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Carabao Cup competition is set to continue this week, with the quarter-finals to be played across Tuesday and Wednesday.

Arsenal previous winners

Arsenal squeezed past Liverpool 5-4 on penalties to advance to the League Cup quarter-finals on Thursday after a goalless 90 minutes. With the Premier League champions making several changes to the team that beat Arsenal in the league 3-1 on Monday and their opponents also rotating, it was always unlikely to be a high-class encounter. Liverpool had the better chances and should have been awarded a 44th-minute penalty when Diogo Jota was brought down in the box.

The resulting free kick eventually led to Takumi Minimino finding space and smashing his close-range shot onto the crossbar.

Arsenal keeper Bernd Leno made two consecutive saves to stop Jota and Marko Grujic and the visitors responded with a chance of their own as Rob Holding’s header was punched away by Adrian in the 70th minute. The Gunners also appealed for a penalty in stoppage time when James Milner fell and handled the ball.

The referee Kevin Friend did not point to the spot and there is no VAR in the competition. Arsenal, however, celebrated in shootout when Joe Willock’s spot kick crept under keeper Adrian to send them through.

Leave a Reply